How does Airbnb’s review system work? – Airbnb’s review system is straightforward, and we’ll talk you through it now so that you can leave a review the next time you book accommodation with the website. After your stay, Airbnb will send you an email asking you how your stay was.
How do I write a review on Airbnb?
Reviews for stays – Airbnb Help Center Suggestions will show after typing in the search input. Use the up and down arrows to review. Use enter to select. If the selection is a phrase, that phrase will be submitted to search. If the suggestion is a link, the browser will navigate to that page.
Reviews are critical to help build trust on Airbnb—they’re an important way for Hosts and guests to give each other feedback, and help our community make informed decisions and understand what to expect when making plans. We believe that a fair review system is one that respects and protects our community’s genuine feedback, and we have a number of safeguards in place to help build trust in our reviews system.
Hosts and guests can only leave reviews for stays that have been booked and paid for on Airbnb. Once a checkout is complete, Hosts and guests have 14 days to submit their review. Guests and Hosts can also leave a review for certain reservations that are canceled on or after the day of check-in (12:00 AM in the listing’s timezone).
- Both parties have submitted their reviews, or
- The 14-day period has ended—whichever comes first.
If a Host cancels a reservation before the day of check-in, the Host and guest won’t be able to leave a review for the stay. After your stay, Airbnb will send an email asking you to leave a review for your most recent Host or guest. Within the email, there will be a link that takes you directly to the Reviews page so you can share how your reservation went with other community members.
- Once you’re signed in to your Airbnb account, you’ll be able to find both written about you and by you on your public profile.
- If you’re a guest, another way to find your reviews is to go to your Profile > Account > Go to profile,
- If you’re a Host, you can go to Insights > Reviews,
Airbnb doesn’t moderate reviews before they’re published, and reviews are encouraged to be transparent. However, reviews do need to be honest and relate to a genuine reservation, and may be removed if they violate our, In short, this means that a review may be removed if:
- The review violates —for example, it includes private or confidential information, discriminatory, violent or threatening content
- The review is biased—for example, because the guest has been incentivised to leave a positive review in return for a free or discounted stay, or where there are signals that the reservation was made for the sole purpose of inflating a person’s overall rating
- The review is irrelevant to the author’s experience on Airbnb—for example, because it doesn’t contain firsthand information about the Host, guest, or stay that would help other community members make informed booking or hosting decisions
We also have a detection system that proactively looks for signs that a review may not relate to a genuine stay. If our system detects that a review is likely to be fake—for example, because it doesn’t relate to a genuine stay on Airbnb or because it relates to a stay that was solely made to inflate a person’s ratings—it’ll be removed.
- If you submit your review first, you may edit it anytime within the 14-day review period, up until the other party submits their review
- Once both reviews are submitted or the 14-day review period has ended—whichever comes first—both reviews are automatically published and no more changes can be made
- Both guest and Host reviews are posted at the same time and can’t be edited after they’re posted,(the other person can’t read your review and change their own as a result)
- You can’t request edits to a review written about you, except you may to request a change in the gender pronoun used to describe you in the review
You can post a public response to a review that someone has left for you within 30 days after the review was submitted (not published). Feel free to respond with more context or provide your own perspective, as long as you also follow our, You can’t remove a review written about you if you disagree with it, but you can to us if you think it violates our Reviews Policy.
These reviews will be removed if they violate our, and both guest and Host will be informed of this decision upon removal. You can remove a review you’ve written if it no longer reflects your genuine experience as a guest or Host. You can reach out to our with your request to remove a review you’ve authored.
If a reservation has more than one confirmed guest, the Host’s review is for the guest who made the reservation. This review will still appear on the profiles of all the other confirmed guests. Reviews are ranked by chronological order and by relevance, which may take into consideration factors such as the user’s language and search criteria.
Can anyone leave a review on Airbnb?
How to Write a Review for Any Situation – Airbnb Tips
How Guests can leave reviews on Airbnb? – Guests can leave reviews on the Airbnb app or website. Airbnb guests can leave reviews on their mobile or desktop devices, after they’ve checked out of their stay. In order to submit a review, you need to be logged into your account when you check in and after checking out (if applicable).
Does Airbnb delete bad reviews?
Reporting reviews under this policy – To report a review for violating this policy, contact us, If a review violates this policy, we may remove that review, including any associated ratings and other content. We take the removal of any review seriously and only do so where there is a clear violation of this policy.
What is the minimum review for Airbnb?
Airbnb Review Etiquette
- How to Leave an Airbnb Review
Suppose you just stayed at an Airbnb. It was clean, reasonably priced, the listing was accurate, and the host communicated well. But it didn’t blow you away. When you leave your review, how many stars do you give? 3? Maybe 4? You might think that 3-stars means a place is average, and 4 stars is a good rating.5-star reviews are reserved only for the most luxurious, above-and-beyond experiences.
Unfortunately, this couldn’t be further from the truth. Airbnb holds hosts to a strict 5-star-or-bust expectation. They take any review that is less than 5-stars to indicate that there are major problems with a property or host. In fact, if a host’s account average drops below a 4.8-star rating, then they lose their Superhost status.
On top of that, Airbnb could permanently remove a listing if the average drops below a 4.3-star rating! Because of this, receiving a 4-star review is very damaging to a host. Obviously if someone deserves a 4-stars or lower, review them accordingly. But it’s good to keep in mind what consequences a 4-star review can have for hosts.
- Guest Rating Guide:
- 5-star: Nobody is perfect, but I enjoyed my stay!
- 4-star: There are several issues that need to be corrected.
- 3-star: There are major problems.
- 2-star: This listing should be removed.
- 1-star: Ban these hosts for life.
- But what specifically should guests be considering in their reviews? Airbnb indicates that the following five things are sufficient for a 5-star review:
- Cleanliness : Every room that guests can access is clean, there’s no dust or mold on surfaces or floors, linens are clean, and trash is clear from previous guests.
- Essential amenities : hosts provide toilet paper, soap, linens, and 1 towel & 1 pillow per person.
- Accurate listing details : Address and bed/bath details accurate, photos are up to date, and amenities from listing are available and functional.
- Easy check-in : Check-in process is clear and simple.
- , Proactive communication : Host is available to the guest during their stay.
Within these categories, the bar is low enough to allow for small mistakes. No host is prefect. And if there are problems, there is also room for the host to correct things during the guests’ stay. For example, suppose the internet goes out unexpectedly, for reasons beyond the host’s control.
- The host calls the internet company immediately.
- Even if it takes a few hours for things to be fully fixed, the host should not get a lower review, due to their concern and effort.
- Along similar lines, hosts should not be given a lower rating for things such as: location isn’t near enough to a grocery store, a bug got into the house, dust on the lamp shade, small stains on the clean towels, neighbors that look scary, a power outage, or even a malfunctioning door lock.
What Airbnb Reviews Are Not Rating systems are a common part of our lives. To help further clarify the Airbnb review system, it will be helpful to see how Airbnb contrasts with other common rating systems. Airbnbs Ratings are not Hotel Ratings: Similar to Airbnbs, hotels are rated with stars, on a scale from 1–5.
- A 1-star hotel is the cheapest, dirtiest, place to stay that gets the job done.
- A 5-star hotel is a rare high-end luxury hotel that you can only find in the finest locations of the best cities.
- While these rating systems might seem similar, this is actually a totally different rating system than what Airbnb uses.
An Airbnb listing should NOT be rated lower than 5 stars because it does not measure up to a 5-star hotel. To use an analogy, you don’t go 100mph on a highway in Canada just because the sign says “100.” Both are numbers on signs on the side of the road, but one is measured in kilometers, and the other in miles.
- Airbnbs Ratings are not Google Reviews: What about Google reviews? It is normal to look at a Google review for a business that has 4.5–4.8 stars and think it is a very good rating.
- However, Airbnb holds hosts to a much higher standard.
- In fact, host are held to near perfection, with severe repercussions.
If a host drops below 4.8 stars, they will lose Superhost status. Losing Superhost often causes a host to lose money, limits their customer service/support from Airbnb, and their listings are removed from valuable search filters. Worse yet, if an Airbnb host drops below a 4.3 rating (which is seen as a serviceable Google rating), that hosts could have their listing suspended and removed from Airbnb.
- Airbnb punishes anything but perfection.
- How should hosts rate guests? There are no clear guidelines from Airbnb for hosts reviewing guests.
- But they should be consistent with the format for guests reviewing hosts.
- Specifically, even if some issues occur, that shouldn’t automatically be reflected in the guests’ rating, and there should be room for guests to make things right.
For example, if a guest breaks an item and offers to pay for it, they should not be given a lower rating.
- Host Rating Guide:
- 5-star: Minor issues, would happily host again.
- 4-star: Several issues and/or guests difficult to deal with, but still might host again.
3-star: Guest caused major problems and/or did not follow rules. Would not host again.
- 2-star: Other hosts should not accept their reservation.
- 1-star: The guest’s account should be suspended.
Airbnb expects a 5-star review to be relatively easy to obtain. You might think is a bad thing: it indicates review inflation, and/or unrealistic expectations. But we can’t change or control these policies. Then, what do we do about it? Follow the guides above! Understand the system that Airbnb has set up and separate that from other platforms such as Google.
What should I say in an Airbnb review?
Reviews that use the guest’s first name as an input variable – The review templates will pull the guest’s first name from the PMP. This will make your review more personable and increase your odds of repeat guests. Note: Hostfully users will have to substitute with the string
was a great guest. Communicative during the booking process and left the place clean and in great shape. Would not hesitate to have back again anytime. was fantastic. Quiet, considerate and left the place clean and in good condition. We recommend them to any hosts. was a great to host! Respectful, quiet, clean and organized. We have nothing but good things to say., we’d love to have you stay with us any time in the future. was awesome! Very communicative and respected the house rules. We’d love to have come back, but we also recommend to any host. Really nothing negative to say about, Easy to host, left the place clean, and respected the house rules. Come back anytime ! was great to host. Super easy to deal with, and communicated what we needed to know to help us make the hosting easy and smooth. Would have back any day. is very respectful and easy to work with. Please come again! was so lovely., it was such a pleasure to host you. I highly recommend to any other host. One of the easiest guests I’ve ever hosted. was organized, clean, and left the place in good order. Please come back one day! is fantastic and such a delight to host. Communicates well, respectful of the place, and left everything clean. Really enjoyed hosting you and would love to have you stay with us again. stayed at our place and we couldn’t have been happier. Communicative, clean, and respected the house rules. We highly recommend to any host. is the perfect guest. Checked in with no problem and left the place on time. Easy guest to host and would recommend to anyone. Guests like don’t come around very often. Easy to work with, and very respectful. Would love to host you again in any of our other properties. We hosted and it was such a delight! Friendly and clean, I’d gladly host again and recommend to any host. stayed with us and left everything clean and tidy. Respected the place, and didn’t bother the neighbors. We’d love to host again. was a great guest, followed the house rules, was independent, and left the place clean. I’d host any time and recommend to any host. It was a pleasure to host, Friendly and enthusiastic, but also very respectful of our place. Would recommend to any host., please contact us directly if you ever need a place in the area. left the property clean and in great condition. Was respectful and was one of the easiest guests to host. Recommend to anyone. Great guest! is kind, considerate and respectful. Left everything clean and tidy. We’d love to have you stay with us again, was quiet, organized and easy to communicate with. Would recommend to any host. can come back any time!